Tuesday, September 25, 2007

September Trip, II

I am back from Florida, alive and unscathed, but with my cold still lingering. I tried to ditch that bad boy while I was away but he wouldn't cooperate. It's like the aftertaste of TaB, it just lingers and lingers no matter what you do. Even though I was feeling a bit peaked, I did mange to have a great time and got absolutely no knitting done. That's right, no knitting. I think this Rhinebeck deadline of mine is going to act as a throwback to school when I would dread a project I had to do, knowing I had to do it before a certain date, I would think about it and plan different ways to do it but still not do it until the absolute last minute. Procrastination is thy name and I live up to it fully. But, let's not talk about that.

The trip, lots o' fun! I have some funny stories, like the one where I frantically searched every nook and cranny of all of my bags, only to find that I left my antibiotics at home, 1400 miles away, and so I had to get another prescription called in, which was all fine and dandy an nice and so forth, except that when I went to the twenty-four hour Walgreens I learned that the store was open twenty-four hours but the pharmacy, it was only open until 9:00 p.m. and so if I wanted my drugs right then I would have to drive thirty minutes away, which I did and I felt was totally worth it. Well until this morning at work when I was cleaning out my purse and found my original prescription in my purse pocket, the very same purse pocket that I searched so very thoroughly while I was away, so now I have extra antibiotics which is hardly any fun because they are not like say, extra morphine. Any one need a z-pack? And yes, I know, I went on and on about how I don't take anything when I get sick and I wouldn't have taken anything except my doctor, she yelled at me and told me coughing up green stuff was no good and dammit I would take an antibiotic or else, and since she bears an uncanny resemblance to my college president Donna Shalala, and is, you know a real doctor, well I couldn't say no. But then maybe my subconscious did say no since it tricked me into believing that I left my drugs at home. Which is kind of interesting when you think about it. Or not.

Let's not talk about that either. I attended a great Miami game in a great stadium. Well the stadium is great in terms of tradition, if not amenities. The Hurricanes played like the Hurricanes of days past and it was fantabulous. It will probably be the last game I'll see in the OB (unless I win the lottery or find a benevolent benefactor willing to give me four hundred bucks for plane fare) and since I managed to catch all of the fifty-eight home games during Miami's fifty-eight home game win streak, the longest in NCAA history, thankyouverymuch, it was extra nice.* I followed up my awesome football game with a fun bachelorette night out with BeFri and her wonderful wedding.

During the bachelorette night, we visited all of the places we used to hang out as kids, be it our old houses, the skating rink, our schools, or our friends' old houses. We then went to a favorite restaurant of ours, The Melting Pot, in Miami Beach. Only it wasn't in the same place as it use to be and only luck and the fact that we might have maybe missed our turn because we hadn't been there in a really long time, had us finding the place. Anywho one of the highlights of my trip was that I was able to satisfy my intense craving for fried brains, um, I mean fried broccoli.



Many people have eaten at TMP and I suspect that at least two thirds of them have seen the veggies and pooh-poohed them. The only time they touch the veggies is to move them our of the way of the meat. Well let me tell you that they are making a huge mistake. HUGE. By far, the best part of the fondue experience is the fried broccoli. It is perhaps, perfection in the form of a deep fried veggie. Yes the cheese rocks, the shrimp are great, and the chocolate is nice too. But the broccoli, Holy Crap! It is delish. And I am a die hard carnivore, so if I say the broccoli is better than the meat, you can trust me. Oh and the carrots, good in TMP chocolate, but that is another story for another time.

The majority of my pictures of the trip were of food. Whether it be the wedding food or the brunch food or our night out food, I took a lot of food pictures. I attribute this totally to BeFri's influence. I didn't take many people pictures (though I did manage one artsy picture of during the wedding but it was only artsy because of a zoom/flash issue) and I didn't take any knitting pictures. I could tell you that this is because I didn't want to freak people out at the wedding by whipping out the sweater of slowness, but the reality is that my knitting wouldn't fit in my purse.



I could have borrowed some space in BeFri's purse as I was in charge of it for part of the wedding, but her purse was even smaller than mine. Mine held a tube of lip gloss, my one inch thick, two and a half by four inch camera, a kleenex, and a ten dollar bill, whereas hers held a hanky and lip gloss, the end.

Needless to say, I got me some sweater knitting to do (as well as some laundry) before I go away (again) this weekend. I'm not even going to pretend that I am going to knit over my weekend trip because let's face, it ain't gonna happen.

Oh, and in relation to none of the above, if you're interested, Socktoberfest 2007 is almost here! If I ever finish this !@*&^%? sweater, I am so diving into a pair of socks.

* Speaking of football, guess who is in first place in our pool. That's right, c'est moi!

No comments: