Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Seriously?

I just wet blocked LB's stocking, v. 2. This was a huge mistake. Let me re-phrase that, WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST DO? The pretty white snow dripping into the foot? Pink. The crisp white background framing the black letters of her name? Gray. Turns out the colors bled ... and stuck. No amount of rinsing seems to help. If you can guess the number of times I yelled fuck in my laundry room, I'll give you a dollar. I decided wine might make everything better. But we don't have any. I then decided to pin it out on the guest room bed (i.e., my blocking board) and hope that sometime tonight the yarn fairies come out and rescue the stocking. Maybe by putting my folly out here on the internet, karma will come wafting in the window and blow out the bad color? Gah! It's not that this is a particularly difficult knit, or that it is all that time consuming, and maybe the third time would be the charm, but you know what the second time was really kinda nice. Hell and damn.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, I would be PISSED.

MUDNYC said...

Suck ass! That is bullshit!!! Get some nail polish that matches the colors that were bled onto. Get some wine. Drink the wine, paint the stocking, and then don't hang it near anything flammable like a fireplace mantle and don't look too closely.

Or do version 3...

Rebecca said...

OMG! I did something like that where I knit a baby dress for someone and used yellow, white, and purples... I guess I should have prewashed the yarn, but who the F does that? Luckily, the bleeding was just around the edges, hopefully the stocking is OK.

Anonymous said...

Can you try Retayne or one of those loose-dye-magnet grabber sorts of things? Knittalk and Knitlist have had good clumps of advice on what to do - other than, as Rebecca said, prewashing absolutely every yarn in the world, which is SO not practical.