Monday, March 05, 2007

Goin' to the Chapel

Big BEST WISHES to BeFri on her recent engagement. Best wishes? Best wishes! Etiquette dictates that you never congratulate the bride as it implies a certain desperation and that the woman went out and snagged herself a man. Traditionally you assume that she had a boatful of suitors and chose this one man. You do, however, congratulate the groom for acquiring a beautiful bride. At least that is what I was told as a kid. I'm not sure if this was a real rule of etiquette or just something my mom and aunt cooked up.* They also told me nice girls don't put out before their married, not to put my elbows on the table, to chew with my mouth closed, and that ladies don't cuss. Three out of five ain't bad, huh? In any event, I'm very happy for BeFri and I'm sending tons of good juju her way.

*Several google searches have revealed that this is in fact a traditional custom and that my family did not make it up.

No comments: