Thursday, November 01, 2007

NaBloPoMo, i

Today marks my first post of NaBloPoMo, and hopefully somewhere along day four or so of this month long blog posting festorama, I will quit stumbling every time I type NaBloPoMo. Otherwise this is going to be a very long month as far as my fingers are concerned.

Anywho, I've been somewhat lax about keeping you up to date (in case you're curious, up to date and the hyphen situation was making me twitch, I've decided to go with no hyphen as I am using it as a verb and not a one word type of adjective thing, this could be wrong, I don't know for sure and Strunk and White are currently out of my reach, just know that I did think about this as I didn't want to make your eyes bleed, because me, I care) on my knitting progress, which I know disturbs (and saddens) you to no end. My apologies.


As for the sweater of doom, I mean the sweater that I absolutely love to bits, it is coming along. Slowly. I've gotten a couple inches done on one sleeve and am trying to knit at least two rows a night. At this rate it should be ready in 2010. Fortunately, well for purposes of sleeve knitting anyway, I have midget arms, so the sleeves shouldn't take too long once all the decreases start to take effect. If I had normal arms we'd be looking at 2012 or so, I'm sure.


As for the Socktober socks, yah, well I was going to cheat and make them peds so I could finish them in time, but, um, I didn't even get that far. I have two toes and one and one half feet. I need some more foot, some heel and some leg and I'll be good. Unlike the socks which are not striping good (or for the grammar police, well, which doesn't have the same symmetry as good, but is actually the right word choice, I think, again Strunk and White have deserted me). I like the stripes clean, sharp and demarcated. I've got that. But I wish that the stripes were different widths. These stripes are all the same widths and this does little for me.


And, in case you were curious, the Limited Edition Elvis Presley Reese's peanut butter cups are not good. I repeat: NO. GOOD. You may wonder how I ended up with these banana flavored confections, if not, indulge me. It was 100% bad luck. Normally we don't get trick-or-treaters in our 'hood. But each year I panic at the last minute and buy some candy just in case. Last year we got one kid who wanted money for UNICEF and not a single one wanting candy (Him: Knock, knock. Me: Hello! Happy Halloween! Reaches out with hand full of candy. Him: Holds up box. Would you like to donate to UNICEF? Me: Huh? Him: Would you like to donate to UNICEF? Me: Does UNICEF want candy? Showing hand full of candy just there for the taking. Him: No. Me: Um, then no, no thank you. Him: Okay. Walks away WITHOUT candy.). Nonetheless, I was worried that this year, this would be the year we were rushed by unruly trick-or-treaters demanding candy goodness. So, at 4:45 p.m. on Halloween evening, I went to my local grocery store to pick up some candy. And guess what, they only had one bag of Halloween candy left. If I wanted Christmas candy I was golden, but Halloween? Not so much. So I took that one bag of candy thinking it was Reese's peanut butter cups with an Elvis theme for Halloween ... not an Elvis flavor. We had two trick-or-treaters, and despite the fact that I gave them huge heaping handfuls of this banana badness, we still have a two-thirds of the bag left. I think will bring them to knitting next week to share.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I never got the peanut butter and banana thing. Plus I hate fake banana flavoring (like any banana candy at all). Too bad you didn't get any trick or treaters that looked like Elvis or you could have just given them the bag,

Sephyroth said...

I'm stopping by on my way to commenting on as many NaBloPoMo blogs as possible as part of the NaBloPoMo commenting challenge. :)

I have to admit that the taste of real peanut butter and real banana in a sandwich isn't half bad; the flavors actually go together quite well. I think it's all to do with the fact that when you're dealing with the processed products, you have to add preservatives and fake flavors that will just destroy the taste. Also, the chocolate can not help the situation.. ;)

Sephyroth
http://www.sephyroth.net