Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Good Stuff

I'm going to tell y'all about my adventures in black-eyed peas, the food, not the band. So if you are not a big fan of black-eyed peas in any form, and want to hear about something else, well, I've got one thing for you. Something that made me laugh out loud and almost choke on a cookie, granted it was a somewhat dry, sugar-free cookie, but still. Now that I've built it up, you're bound to be disappointed. Oh well, here it is. I'm going to tell you now. Be prepared. I received a letter from a potential client seeking representation in a divorce, wherein, she said the following:
My husband is a cheat and this year he gave me an STD for Mother's Day.

Other than being funny (well, it is, if you're like me and an asshole with a twisted sense of humor), it is ripe for witty responses like ... What is the return policy on that? Did he mean to give you a FTD? Yah. Okay. That's all I've got. Moving on to food.

My people, be it the people of the South, the eccentric people, or the people of superstition, they believe that eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day brings you good luck. Growing up, my mom would make a big ole bowl of black-eyed peas, some collard greens and some cornbread. I, not liking the black-eyed pea overly much, would count out three hundred, sixty-five peas and eat those peas, and those peas only. I decided that if I ate one pea for each day, I'd be good for the year. I don't believe there is any basis in fact, or superstition, for this, but it worked for me. As I've matured (that sounds better than aged, huh?), I've developed a like for the black-eyed pea. Nonetheless, a big ole bowl of 'em doesn't really appeal. All of this is the long way of explaining why I took a black bean croquette recipe, played with and made black-eyes pea croquettes for New Year's. As for why I took pictures of my black-eyed pea croquette adventure, well, that's because BeFri likes food pics.

   


I served the black-eyed pea croquettes with some homemade salsa, of a sort, and some homemade bread, and was pretty pleased.



If you are looking for a fun way to use serve up some black eyed peas, or you need some fiber, try this recipe. Substitute black-eyed peas for black beans, add some curry powder and some garlic to the croquette mixture and voila! Oh, and if you are making the salsa and you seem to have lost/misplaced/eaten your avocado, trying mixing in a little plain Fage yogurt.

No comments: