Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Pedicure Socks

What an inspired title, eh? Ha! So, last week I finished my pedicure socks. I've been patiently waiting for my pedicure appointment to roll around so that I could take some pictures at the salon and blog all about their usefulness. And yes, I was totally convinced that these puppies would be useful (which it turns out they were). Anyway, last night was the big night of pedi pampering and the picturing taking thing was a great plan, but for the fact that I forgot my *&%$!# camera, having left it at work. So, I had no pictures at the salon. But! But, I had my old camera at home and figured I could use the old camera, take some pictures, and blog away. That worked out wonderfully until I tried to upload the pictures onto our new home computer with its fancy Vista operating system. Basically Vista laughed at me when I asked it to upload the pictures from my poor antiquated camera. *&%$!# Vista. Anyway, now I am at work, having regained picture publishing capabilities, and all is right in the world. I can now share my pedicure socks!

So these socks were quite simple to knit, even if the yarn was quite icky. Since these are not going to be in my regular sock rotation, I figured why use the good stuff. The answer to that question is, a better knitting experience. It is just nicer to knit with yummy yarn. That being said, for acrylic, this stuff ain't too bad and it didn't hurt my hands.

For the pattern itself, I just kind of winged it. I cast on 30 stitches and did a few rounds of ribbing in the black mystery yarn. I switched to the striped yarn, did one round of ribbing, and then started on the heel. For the heel I used a generic heel pattern that I had kicking around my knitting stuff from some unknown source. It is, however, quite similar to this one.

Once I turned the heel and decreased the gusset, I knit the foot. This was just plain ole knitting in the round. I went along until I was a half an inch from the start of my toes, that is, the toe part starting at my foot, the part where the toes connect to the foot, capishe? Once I hit that part, I did a few rows of ribbing until I reached the beginning of my little toe. Then I started casting off. This actually caused me to use my noggin' as I needed to figure out where to place the in-between-the-toe bit. I knit in my ribbing pattern until I reached the point where I wanted the toe bit. I knit those three stitches, and then started casting off until I reached the next three stitches that I needed to line up and fit in between my toes. I knit those three and resumed casting off until I ended up back at my first three stitches. I ended up with six live stitches total, three on the front needle and three on the back. I knit the three stitches in stockinette until they were long enough to connect to the other three stitches. Then I kitchenered them together. Easy peasy!

My method worked (perfectly for me) though it means that I have a right sock and a left sock - they are not interchangeable because the toe bit goes between my big and second toe. They aren't interchangeable but they are matching in stripeyness. I made sure that I started on the same place with the yarn for both socks so that the stripes lined up. I am a dork!

However, I am a dork with dry warm feet, after a rainy cold February evening pedicure!

Yarn: Unknown black stuff and two partial skeins of Moda•Dea Sassy Stripes, color #6946 Crush, dye lot #5821.
Needles: Addi Turbo, size 3.25 mm (US 3)
Pattern: As discussed above, I just made it up as I went.
Time: 18 days.
Care: Machine wash cold, lay flat to dry.

No comments: