This is my first delve into the seedy underbelly of the internet ... just kidding. I've bought porn online dozens of time before. No, really, I'm kidding, I've never purchased porn before (well online anyway). But enough with that, I've joined my first Secret Pal swap, and here, without further ado, is my response to the questionnaire.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I fell in love with the Lorna Laces Shepherd Sock yarn recently. I also have some Blue Heron, Noro, and Koigu that I really like. I am a bit of a yarn snob and not a huge fan of 'craft store yarns' like Red Heart or Lion Brand. Wait! Does this mean type of material as in cashmere (likey), silk (likey), alpaca (likey), wool (likey)? Or, type of construction, ribbon (no likey) etc? Man, I am having anxiety at question one ... I'm going to expire way before the end of this baby. Oh, I detest yarns that FALL APART!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? A closet. Seriously. I keep them in their original packaging and then have them on a shelf in my yarn closet. I also have a few that are in a make-up style bag that I keep in my knitting bad.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I consider myself an advanced beginner. My aunt taught me to knit a long long time ago but I never really got into it until about two years ago. Since then, I have made many a scarf (pre-blog days, though I hope to get them photographed an unloaded at some point) and some socks. I am a yarn "thrower" and had never seen the Continental style of knitting until I moved up north.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, yes I do!
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) I am not a fan of fruity scents. I do, however, like vanilla, cinnamon, and coffee scents which are really kissing cousins to the fruity. I also like lavender. And patchouli (though my husband hates that I like it).
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I heart candy. Chocolate and peanut butter ... Reese's Cup, Reese's Pieces, M&M's, yum! Actually, I'll demolish any M&M's, peanut butter or otherwise, and um, all candy but licorice. Licorice = Bad! Bad! Bad!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I'm not so crafty outside of knitting. I don't spin or crochet and I don't have any burning desire to learn, right now anyway. My do-it-yourself projects are usually home improvement projects like painting or drywall.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I lurve me some music. I like hip-hop, rock, rap, pop, r&b, classical, reggae ... um, I don't like spiritual or country music. I listen to music everywhere (the car, the computer, the house) and in various formats (cd, mp3, iPod, tapes, eight-tracks - just kidding, my husband hogs the eight-track player).
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love greens. And blues. And reds. And pinks. Maybe I should say that I like all colors but peach. I mean, peach is okay, I guess, sorta. Not a favorite though.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I'm not "in the family way." Heh. I have a husband, a cat and a dog.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes, yes, yes and yes; though not always well.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I like smaller projects like socks and scarves because you can (hypothetically at least) get them done quickly. I am all about the instant gratification. I am not really into knitting animals or flowers or decorative things, even though they are small. I like to be able to wear or use what I knit.
13. What are you knitting right now? Um, I have a shawl which is being retired until next spring or at least until the end of winter since I won't be able to use it until then. I have some socks that I just cast on and I have a scarf that I am working on as well.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer circular needles. I like the Addi's though I have others that are bamboo and plastic that I like.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, but I'd like too!
17. How old is your oldest UFO? A few months. It's the shawl. I usually work on two projects at once and don't start a new one until I finished the old one. Unlike house work, in which I will start one project, get distracted, start another, get distracted, start another, repeat.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas! I should say though, that it isn't due to any of the religious God/Jesus/angels aspect of the day. I like the atmosphere and the tree and the lights and the pageantry and the gift-giving. Oh, and the cookies, I love me some Christmas cookies.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Dust. Pet hair. But these are not desirable. I do NOT recommend collecting these things.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? There are a few books on my Amazon wish list. I don't subscribe to any knitting magazines.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Well, I've always wanted to learn how to speed read and how to take short-hand but I don't think that is what you are looking for. I am sure there are some knitting techniques I would like to learn, but I don't know what they are.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am a sock knitter, just not a very accomplished one - yet! I wear a ladies size ten and my foot is ten inches long.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 12/05